Tuesday, 11 June 2013

Peachy Apricot Flowers and Lace 10th Birthday Cake

In the previous post I showed you how to make the fruit cake. This post will be a run through of the finished cake. Our eldest knew exactly what she wanted: a formal cake, two tiers, flowers around the bottom, ribbon around the middle, one candle with flowers around it, in coral. The finished item wasn't entirely to the plan because as we went along she made some changes.
 
 


First we coloured the fondant. Actually, I coloured this 4 days beforehand so I wasn't rushing on the day of putting the cake together. We were also packing for a weekend away at the same time! I used 2kg of white fondant that you can buy from the supermarket. It was way too much but I like to use the excess for making little flowers and bits and pieces for future cakes.

I added some orange and strawberry flavouring to the fondant and after kneading until my arms couldn't take it anymore smooth, I tinted the icing with Winton gel colour in Golden Yellow and Real Red. These are just what I had and I figured I could get a coral out of them. I was aiming for light coral cake with dark coral flowers but we got to a shade of peachy apricot that Hannah loved and that is how it stayed.






The lighter colour was wrapped in plastic and put aside. With the darker fondant we started on the flowers.

 
 
 
I used a fantastic little set of flower punches that I bought on eBay for about $3.00. After rolling and cutting out the fondant, we moulded them on some foam with a ball tool. I like this part! It's fun! After leaving them out to dry for a day, they went into an airtight container until required.
 
 




 
 
 
When it was time to finish the cake, the light fondant was kneaded again. We started by filling in any holes with small amounts of fondant and then brushing with glucose syrup. Yep, I put way too much on and had to clean the small board and bench afterwards. See it oozing down the bottom. That stuff gets everywhere. I must have washed my hands a dozen times!
 
The small cake is on a small cardboard disk to help it sit on top of the larger cake. Note: The cake was trimmed by about 2cm to make it more in proportion.
 
 
 
 
Then the fondant was rolled out, laid over the rolling pin and put on the cake. Note: Don't wear a brand new teal cardigan while doing this. Unbeknown to you at the time, little blue green fibres will be embedded in the peachy fondant, looking like a blue-green algae outbreak at sunset. Anyway, there wasn't time to start again so we soldiered on.
 
 
 
 
This is the bottom layer of the cake (I had removed my cardy by this stage!). You can see three skewers pushed into the cake to take the weight of the smaller cake, and a swirl of glucose syrup to stick the layers together. The cake board was covered by my mother-in-law with metallic wrapping paper that matched beautifully.



Now time for decorating. I love this bit, too!



Taking the dried fondant flowers, we piped a touch of icing on the back and stuck them on the cake at an angle to the board and with one of the five petals pointing upwards.



 
 
 
 
Originally, she wanted only three flowers around the candle, but the blue-green algae bloom was getting me down so we covered the top with flowers. We used a long taper candle and it could fit through the centre of a flower before being pushed into the fondant.
 
 
 
 
 
We had a trial run of different sizes for the centres.
 
 
 
The after trialling a number of ribbons, like this one, and laces, it was finally completed.
 
 
 
 



 
 
 This is a few days later at the dinner.

 
 
 
And on Sunday night I made these mini chocolate cupcakes for her to take for school. This is the Depression Cake recipe made as cupcakes, it has no eggs but it does have wheat flour as they were going to school and not for home.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment